Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Race......

So the story of how Lincoln finally arrived. Thursday I was really swollen, couldn't hardly get my shoes on or off and my coworkers had encouraged me to work from home on Friday so I did. I didn't feel like myself on Friday, after working I did all the laundry in the house, put together a rocking chair and stopped short of cleaning the kitchen and packing a hospital bag. We went to bed about 10:00pm and at 12:00 my water broke. I walked around for a short while to make sure we were going to the hospital before waking up JR and telling him to start packing a bag.

JR stayed calm, he didn't even speed (that much) on the way to the hospital. We got checked in around 2 am and my contractions were about 35 seconds 3-4 minutes apart. I was hoping it was going to be short and sweet but that was not the case. We were only 2 cm and 4 hours later we were only 4 cm. I was having some back labor because Lincoln wasn't turned right but JR was a great coach. Around 1:00 I was in extreme pain and wanted to push but wasn't far enough along, which was extremely discouraging. I ended up a 1 mg shot of painkiller so I could sleep for a short while hoping I could muster up the strength once it was time to push. I got a little rest and was in the zone for the remainder of my labor. Once it was time to push I was more than ready, we were racing the Derby at that point in time.

After 18 hours of labor, 2 of which I was pushing little Lincoln arrived, only a few minutes late for the Derby. Of course it turns out that he was not so little at 22in 8 lbs 12.5 oz. I couldn't believe it when they told me that, it all finally made sense why I was as big as a house :O ) He was beautiful and perfect and I wouldn't have done anything differently, except maybe a few less McDonalds sundaes. LoL

We're home now and getting settled. Every time I look at him I just thank the Lord for a beautiful healthy little boy and pray that we will raise him to follow Christ and impact the world. It's just a great honor and responsibility that is put in your hands when having a child and I'm so glad we finally joined the other parents of this world with the challenge of raising them to be warriors for the Lord.

Sons are a heritage from the LORD,
children a reward from him.
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are sons born in one's youth.
Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.
They will not be put to shame
when they contend with their enemies in the gate.

Psalm 127:3-5

No comments: